The student news site of Wahlert Catholic High School

The Gleaner

The Gleaner

The Gleaner

Being Anonymous

By Gavin Blair

Many of you probably do not know who I am. Hopefully, most of the seniors do, but many of the underclassmen probably do not.

I cannot say that this is a failure because the only things I have been involved in during my high school tenure have been athletics, and I have not stood out. I quit basketball after a sophomore year spent at the end of the bench, and I retired from football after my favorite moment junior year was finding out I had a concussion and I would be sitting out of practice the next week.

The only way I have stepped out of my comfort zone is joining Gleaner in my second semester of senior year.

Another reason many people do not/did not know who I am is because I did not really have any friends freshmen or sophomore year. My claim to fame is that I know Matt Hoffmann and I am good friends with Greg Lange.

The coolest part of my high school career would be meeting Nick Arlen, because he is the coolest cat I know.

The only sport I have stuck with is baseball and nobody goes to those games anyway. You should all go this season so you can say you saw me in action.

Kinda rolling (You’ll get this if you keep reading, but I wouldn’t blame you if you stopped.) back to my baseball career, I think it is cool that I started my high school career playing for Coach Nate Roling as an 8th grader, and then I am ending it playing for Coach Jerry Roling. (Did you get it?).

Regardless of what Miles Launspach, ‘13, says, he did not bat 1.000 8th grade year because I kept the book and put it in as an error.

As my baseball career progressed, I stopped hitting and focused entirely on pitching, which is the best part of baseball.

My favorite coach throughout all of high school would have to be Coach Cole Boge because he played the Prius game with us on the way to and from away games. He never lost because he always beat Evan Markham, ‘13.

Saying goodbye for me is difficult and exciting because I don’t like change but college, will just be another adventure so it’s cool.

In all, my high school career has been a success because I have never stood out, and I managed to salvage a few friends later on.

As anyone who stayed with me through this whole column will know, baseball was really the only thing I focused on.