The Gleaner

Filed under Features

Some gentle advice for the Class of 2022

Hayley Welbes asking Jake Brosius, '21, to the winter dance last year.

by Ashley Steele

Of the Gleaner

For freshmen, their first high school dance can be very memorable for many reasons. Since upperclassmen have all gone  through the stress of finding the perfect dress, asking their date in an extravagant way and making dinner reservations at the best restaurant in town, they have  some advice for the class of 2022 to make Winter Formal the highlight of their year.

1. If you are planning on asking someone, make sure to do it two or three weeks before the dance. — Rachel Eddy, ‘20.
  2. Going to the dance by yourself is totally okay and sometimes more fun! — Sophia Rupert, ‘19.
  3. Don’t spend too much money on a dress; Winter Formal is more casual and laid back. — Hayley Welbes, ‘21.
  4. Slow dancing Isn’t as bad as it seems. — Lindsay Cummer, ‘21.
  5. Make sure to get your reservation for dinner at least two weeks before! Restaurants are always busy on Fridays. — Tommy King, ‘20.
  6. Don’t stress about getting ready for the dance because once you get there, you’ll be sweating all your makeup off! — Grace Burke, ‘20.
  7. Be yourself on the dance floor, don’t be afraid to let loose and have fun! — Zach Warden, ‘20.
  8. Don’t spend a lot of money on hair and nails. It’s casual. — Clare Broderick, ‘20.
  9. Don’t be awkward when you get asked. It is just as nerve-wracking for the girl, so be nice and cool about it. — Tyler Dodds, ‘21.
  10. Be fashionably late. Don’t show up right at 8:30 p.m. — Matt Becker, ‘19.