The student news site of Wahlert Catholic High School

The Gleaner

The Gleaner

The Gleaner

‘Old love’

Teachers recount their memories of love
Jim and Colleen Kuhl stand in front of St. Peter’s Square during their pilgrimage to Italian shrines in November

Whether with chocolates, flowers, or quality time, February is a time to celebrate love. Regardless if it’s old or new love, there are many fun memories to share. For many, one’s engagement story holds the most romance. It irrevocably changes their relationship and makes it stronger. 

Some people got creative when planning their proposal.  

“She came over to my house, and I wrote a song for her. I played it on the guitar, and she said yes at the end,” said Mr. Tim Berning, science teacher. 

Others may like to get engaged privately so that they can spend their special moment together, but Mr. Jim Kuhl had some help to make his proposal special. 

“I was the sophomore girls’ basketball coach. Before the game, I asked her and she said yes. Then each of my team members came in with a rose so she had a whole bundle of roses,” said Mr. Jim Kuhl, religion teacher. 

Sometimes the proposal occurs in a place that’s special to the couple. 

“We had dinner and afterward I asked if she wanted to go for a walk because we often go for a walk on the riverwalk since that’s where we first met. Afterward, she walked to her car and I was right behind her. I knew that she would turn around and give me a goodbye kiss… I was on one knee when she turned around,” explained Brother Nathaniel Gee, a religion teacher.

With love, you learn many lessons that continue to impact your relationships throughout life. However, what lessons could be more impactful for younger love?

“Be honest with each other and talk to each other. Don’t just leave it up to your phone like in texting,” said Mr Kuhl. 

Mr. Berning had a short, but simple response about what teenagers should know. 

“It takes work,” said Mr. Berning.

Brother Gee, who was married more recently, spoke more about what you should seek in a relationship. 

“Seek a person that doesn’t only make you feel love, but actually loves you. Understand that true love isn’t about what a person does for you, but it’s about what a person is willing to sacrifice for you,” said Brother Gee. 

Ultimately, whether you’re old or young, love is all around us, and it’s important to celebrate it along with the memories that come with it.