The Gleaner

Filed under Profiles

Walz finds his rhythm

From bowling to show choir, Walz does it all

Back to Article
Back to Article

Walz finds his rhythm

Mitchell Walz '19, prepares to launch the ball down the lane during bowling practice after school at Cherry Lanes.

You can often find Mitchell Walz hitting his Fortnite dances in the hallways or in the weight room, but where Walz truly stands out is in the bowling alley throwing strikes left and right and getting down center stage.

“After ending my basketball career, I had a lot of free time. So, I decided I wanted to try another school activity,” said Walz. “A few of my close friends on the  bowling team convinced me to go out.”

Although he isn’t too shabby when it comes to bowling, Walz admits, it is just a hobby he does for fun and to spend time with friends.

“For me, there’s nothing more enjoyable than getting out of class early every now and again, and bowling allows me to do just that once or twice a week,” said Walz.

While you can see Walz scoring 259 in the lane, bowling spares and strikes is not Walz’s only forte. You can also find him busting a move and belting out a song at show choir rehearsals and performances.

“I’ve always enjoyed being part of music and all it has to offer since I was in elementary school,” said Walz. “Show choir was a means to not only continue but expand on this hobby of mine.”

After participating in show choir throughout middle school, once high school came around, Walz decided to continue to follow this passion for all four years. Of course, Walz admits, his peers play a huge part in making the practices and shows so enjoyable.

“I know this is a cheesy answer, but I can wholeheartedly say that the people I’ve come to know through show choir are spectacular human beings, and I love them all to death,” said Walz. “Leaving the program after I graduate is one of the things I will miss most.”