The Gleaner

Filed under Profiles

The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser

The hardest working person I know stands about five feet tall. Her stature is hunched, her hands knotted from years of work. Her weight likely would not tip one hundred pounds on the scales. However, like many things in life, one’s eyes can be deceiving. Lavonne Kaiser’s constant, consistent work ethic and dedication to Wahlert reminds me of the person I want to become.

The extent of most of our conversations sounds something like this:

“Hi, Lavonne!”

“Hello!”

Our rapport may include the occasional, “I like your shoes, young man,” or “Fresh cut, Lavonne,” depending on the day. I once had to explain to her what the word “fresh” meant in that context.

Truth be told, I do not know Lavonne all that well, and I would not be offended if she did not know my name. A personal relationship is not what fostered my deep appreciation for her. Rather, it sprouts from observation.

My admiration stemmed from a single picture. I was a sophomore enrolled in Digital Photography (and was not too talented). My assignment was to take a “hand portrait,” that is, to capture a person’s essence just by the appearance of his or her hands. Truthfully, I planned on dissing the assignment and snapping a photo of my dad’s hairy knuckles the night before the due date.

By a chance encounter during a stroll around Wahlert, I saw the small but mighty woman pushing a cart of miscellaneous cleaning supplies. With the thought of people’s hands still strangely on my mind, I took a glance at Lavonne’s. I then understood the meaning of the assignment, and the synapses of my brain lit up. Her hands told a story of faith, work, and perhaps struggle. Two tasteful rings sat on each ring finger. A bracelet carrying a passage from the Gospel of Luke sat proudly around her wrist. It was evident that she had worked for many years, showing a strength that is not typical for an elderly woman.

To put it simply, Lavonne puts most of us to shame. There are days when I feel sorry for myself because I struggled on a test, I may have shot poorly in practice, or my parents and I are engaged in our millionth argument over car privileges. When I find myself moping, I usually see Lavonne scraping gum off of the bottom of the bleachers on her hands and knees or holding three full recycling bins at once (not kidding, I have seen it in person). The energy that she possesses cannot be matched, especially while performing a job that many people take for granted.

Lavonne is not an award winning teacher, principal, or superintendent. She holds the humble title of janitor. However, I believe that she acts as the glue that holds Wahlert together. So many wonderful people have shaped me throughout my life with strong relationships and wise advice, but Mrs. Kaiser’s nonverbal actions have had a profound impact. Nothing about Lavonne suggests insincerity. She radiates authenticity, humility, and a strong will to do things the right way.

Jack Doyle, Editor

Jack Doyle is a senior editor at Wahlert. He is involved in golf, basketball, Business Team, and Student Senate. He enjoys reading, finding new music,...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser”

1. Kelley Brady on December 16th, 2018 8:28 pm

Such a wonderful story about a great woman. I remember her back in the late 80’s when I went to Wahlert she was always offering a lending hand and always smiling and sharing stories with us. We used to sneak in and buy snacks between classes and she always had my favorite ready! Thank you Lavonne and thank you for such. Great inspirational story

2. Maggie Dietzel on December 17th, 2018 7:40 am

That was well written and very well captured Jack. I knew exactly whose hands those were the moment I I saw them. I worked in the summers cleaning wahlert with Lavonne and learned so many lessons with very few words spoken. She was and remains a HUGE part of Wahlert, And I am so happy to hear that kids are still seeing all that she does and the example she lives.
    Thank you for noticing her.

3. Lynnell Haynes on December 17th, 2018 7:50 pm

Beautiful Jack…you have captured LaVonne in her true essence!

4. Dan Mulligan on December 19th, 2018 4:06 pm

Well said, Jack. LaVonne is one amazing person to be sure. Her humility and work ethic are wonderful examples for us all. I enjoyed the bits of humor thrown in mixed with the sincere stuff about LaVonne as well. Nicely scribed and a great choice for the “hands portrait”. Merry Christmas to all of the Golden Eagle family!

5. Pat Broderick on December 20th, 2018 8:18 am

What a powerful, descriptive article from a young person who has the appreciation and insight of a senior journalist. Well done, lad.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Profiles

Smith incorporates “growth mindset” into new teaching methods

• The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser

Profiles

Hockey hospitality amongst Eagles

• The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser

Profiles

Walz finds his rhythm

• The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser

Profiles

Breslin dances into her dream

• The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser

Profiles

Haugen soars with final Eagle Scout project

• Profiles

Timmerman trying to SEAL the deal

• The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser

Profiles

Shining for Shane

• Profiles

The Diverse Musical Pallet of John Sulentic

• The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser

Profiles

Bending Over Backwards for Iowa Cheerleading

• The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser

Profiles

Eye of the fighter

The student news site of Wahlert Catholic High School
The Steady Hands of Lavonne Kaiser