The Gleaner

Filed under Profiles

Breslin dances into her dream

Cathleen+Breslin%2C+%2720%2C+dances+the+role+of+a+Spanish+soloist+in+The+Nutcracker+last+year.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Breslin dances into her dream

Cathleen Breslin, '20, dances the role of a Spanish soloist in The Nutcracker last year.

While most students spend their summer swimming at the pool, hanging out with friends or playing sports, Cathleen Breslin, ‘20, spends her time working hard at one of her goals: to become a professional dancer.

For the past two summers, Breslin has been spending five weeks at a ballet intensive called CPYB, or Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet.

“This intensive truly is very intense,” Breslin laughed. “We would be in ballet classes from 9 a.m.. to 9 p.m., so we would be dancing literally all day.”

Not only did Breslin spend five weeks in Pennsylvania training, she also spent two weeks with the Chicago Ballet rehearsing for a performance.

“At this intensive, we mostly prepare for the final show,” Breslin explained. “We learn many different ballets that I would not have learned at home, so that is super cool and interesting.”

This fall, Cathleen’s work paid off when she received the role of Clara in the Dubuque Academy of Ballet’s performance of The Nutcracker, which will be this December 8th, 9th, 14th, 15th and 16th. This is Breslin’s eighth time performing in this ballet, and she is thrilled with her role.

“This role is very important to me,” Breslin said. “Not only am I excited to follow in my sister Maeve’s footsteps, but I am excited to put my own twist on things with the role of Clara.”

Rehearsal for The Nutcracker has just begun, and Cathleen is preparing to dedicate a lot of hard work into her ballet classes. Although it might seem very time-consuming to other students, Breslin enjoys the quietness of ballet.

“Ballet gives me the opportunity to focus on just my movements and nothing else,” Breslin said. “It helps me clear my mind. No matter what type of day I’ve had, I can just go to class and start over.”

As Cathleen begins investing her time and energy into her upcoming performance, Breslin is getting closer and closer to accomplishing her goal of being a professional dancer.

Ashley Steele, Associate Editor

Ashley Steele is a junior at Wahlert, and this is her second year on the Gleaner staff. Ashley is a dancer for Vibe Dance Co. and the Wahlert dance team....