Wahlert welcomes Father Andy

Fellowshipping with the Lord
New to Wahlert, Father Andy Upah begins his faith-filled-journey, connecting with students, staff and God.

Have you ever wanted more variety in who you sit by at lunch? Did you ever think it would be a priest? Well, the new priest at Wahlert, Father Andy Upah, would be glad to make some new friends in the cafeteria.

“I’m looking forward to getting to know people. If anyone sees me come into the lunchroom, and they want me to sit by them, just flag me down and I’d love to sit down,” said Fr. Andy.

Some of Fr. Andy’s favorite hobbies and activities include hanging out with friends, playing volleyball and being outdoors. He was a triple threat athlete in high school, playing baseball, basketball and football, all while still staying involved in the school newspaper.

“I enjoy watching and playing all kinds of sports. I coached volleyball before I entered seminary,” said Upah. “I like to play volleyball. My sisters and cousins play in college, and it is a big part of my family.”

Fr. Andy is also a very social individual. He enjoys going to Cubs’ games with friends and is excited to meet everyone at Wahlert.

As a newly ordained priest, he has not had too much experience presiding at masses, but is excited to be able to preach to high schoolers.

“I hope that I can preach to them in a way that relates their lives to the gospel,” he explained. “I like to throw in a bit of humor here and there within the homily, and I enjoy when I can make people laugh.”

Fr. Andy is delighted to be presiding at Wahlert, and hopes to see enthusiasm from the students and make a difference in their faith. He is excited to be a part of the Wahlert community and cheer on the different teams.

“I was really impressed by the student section at the volleyball game and how much they get into it. I just thought to myself, I hope they can get into mass the way they got into that game, in a more reverent way of course.”