The Gleaner

Filed under Sports

Young Eagles learning how to fly

Wahlert+girls+huddle+after+winning+their+first+game+this+season+against+Davenport+Central.+++
Wahlert girls huddle after winning their first game this season against Davenport Central.

The Wahlert softball team began its season last week. The team’s record is 2-6 as of May 30th.

Wahlert started by playing Tuesday at Iowa City High. They lost both games. To start off the game, Lily Roth had a fly ball to left field. Paige Hummel then hit a line drive that got through the infield, scoring Roth for the first run of the season.

“We are a young team, and our first games are about learning and growing together as a team. In order to be able to win games in the future, we need to continue to play as a team,” said center fielder Ellie Timmerman 20’.

On Wednesday, Wahlert had a home game against Davenport Central. The won both games. Anna Chapman had a great pitching game. The Eagles won 5-3 in game one. Chapman struck out six and only allowed five hits. Wahlert had a total of seven hits They were down bottom of the 5th, 2-1, when Chapman hit a triple to left-center, scoring two runs and helping the team get the lead.

In the second game, Wahlert came back after being down 4-2, in the third inning to beat Davenport Central,7-6.

“I am proud of the way we handled adversity. We were down in both games and chipped away at it over several innings to come out on top. That says a lot about the girls’ attitudes, and their willingness to pick each other up,” said volunteer Assistant Coach Kylie Wilson.

Wahlert then played Cedar Rapids Xavier at home on Thursday. They lost both games but put up a fight. The first game was 8-1. Anna Chapman started on the mound again, striking out 7 and allowing 10 hits. The run by Wahlert was scored by Molly McDonald, who was courtesy running for Chapman. The second game was 16-6.

Wahlert went 0-2 against Hempstead. The first game was 12-8. Chapman had three strikeouts and allowed 7 hits. She had a 3 run homer in the 5th. Kathryn Nedder had two RBIs in the 7th. The second game was 10-0.

For the rest of the week, the Eagles play at Cedar Rapids Washington on Thursday and return home Saturday to play West Dubuque.