The student news site of Wahlert Catholic High School

The Gleaner

The Gleaner

The Gleaner

Pitching to anchor baseball players at Dowling tournament

Of the Gleaner

The Dowling tournament is an annual Catholic baseball tournament that takes place at Dowling Catholic High School. For several years now, Wahlert has been taking part in this tourney.

Last year the varsity team lost all three games that they played, but are more hopeful for this year.

Miles Launspach, ‘13, said, “We should be able to make a run at the Dowling Tournament this year because we have more depth on the pitching staff and our hitting is better.”

baseball gavin blaire
Owen Skahill, ’14, prepares to throw a pitch at a Wahlert home game earlier this season.

This tournament takes place on the weekend of June 8th and 9th.

Last year this tournament was the turning point of the season. The team had a winning record going in, and then, after three losses, the team went into a spiral and was never the same.

This year, however, the team should have enough pitching depth to survive this tournament. Coach Jerry Roling believes that the pitching depth should be much better than last year and that the pitching staff will be the strength of the team.

Hitting is not as much of a problem with a tournament like this one because it takes longer for a batter to get worn down than it does for a pitcher’s arm to get tired.

All in all, to succeed in the Dowling Tournament, the Wahlert baseball team has to have strong pitching. The hitting will come around, but pitching needs to be there for sure.