The Gleaner

Filed under Opinion

Oh Freshman Abby…

Wahlert Catholic High School, our beautiful home we all love to hate. By senior year, we’ve all tried to convince an underclassman we have a pool (which we definitely do), we’ve all stayed out in the parking lot until at least 10 p.m. just talking with friends at least five times, and we’ve all definitely cracked the asbestos joke when the situation calls for it (because joking about it makes lung cancer seem less scary?).

Since freshman year, this building has given us a common ground to share in our greatest triumphs and to comfort each other in times of struggle. As our time here comes to a fast approaching close, I am selfishly taking advantage of this soapbox to disclose what I wish I had known those four short years ago.

If I were to sit down with my freshman self for a quick 20-minute coffee date, I would tell Abby this.

1) I know you just moved here and you don’t know anyone, but while being open to different groups of people, don’t close yourself off to others.

Freshman year: it’s so easy to be concerned about your status and making sure that you’re well-liked instead of investing your time in a good group of friends who genuinely care about you and accept, respect, and love your quirks!

2) Don’t be afraid to be your authentic self.

If you worry so much about what people think of you, then you will never feel comfortable enough to become who you were meant to be.

3) Believe in yourself.

Yes, Abby, I know it sounds cheesy. However, just know that you are capable of so much. Never stop working because if you believe in yourself, your goals become achievable.

4) Pursue God with your whole heart.

I know you’re scared that people will think you’re weird, little Abby, but God doesn’t call you to be popular. He calls you to know, love, and serve Him.

5)  Love intentionally.

Love with your whole being, despite what others think you should do. Go out of your way to make someone’s day better, even if it’s at your expense.

Stay present in the moment, little Abby, because time flies even faster than Mr. Rollins changing the slides during APUSH notes.

Remember, whatever you do, know this: “All shall be well, all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.” – Julian of Norwich.