The Gleaner

Filed under Features

The Garden of Dubuque

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Garden of Dubuque

The Dubuque Arboretum is one of the best looking places in Dubuque and offers a lot to do for the entire family. It has everything from a fish pond, gardens, and flowers to great picnic locations, a park, and great music being performed on occasion. They have a lot of different types of gardens with beautiful flowers and other various plants, and it is a great place for the summer.

The Arboretum was founded in 1980 and has 52 acres of space. It’s open daily throughout the year. Even though there is no charge to enter, there is certainly a lot to do. One of the main events of the Arboretum is Music in the Garden, held every Sunday at 6:30 p.m. during June, July and August at the Packard Pavilion in the park. Music in the Garden features many different bands and styles of music, and people often bring picnic lunches to listen.

The main reason most people go to the Arboretum is to see the different types of gardens that are laid out throughout the park, including the Japanese garden, the rose garden, an annuals garden, a garden with various herbs, wildflowers,  and a bunch of shrubs. Aside from the gardens, they also have a Koi pond, a visitor center, and a gazebo.

Although the Arboretum is a very pretty looking, it won’t stay that way without constant maintenance. That’s where all of the amazing volunteers come in. A group of volunteers regularly goes to the Arboretum every Friday to do yard work or any other maintenance that needs to be done.

Since I need service hours and something to do over the summer, my brother and I volunteer every Friday at the Arboretum with our grandpa. We go around and trim weeds and occasionally cut some of the grass. We have also helped pick up sticks after a big storm. Volunteering has helped me realize how important work like this is.

The Arboretum is a great part of Dubuque and offers a lot to enjoy. If you’re bored at all during the summer, it might not be a bad idea to check out the Music in the Garden. You could also help out with the maintenance because the Arboretum is also always looking for more volunteers. Plus, it’s a great way to get some service hours for school.