• November 14Operation ELF coming up in December

• November 14Frosh/Soph Plays 12/8-12/9

• November 10Girls Volleyball win 4A state championship

The student news site of Wahlert Catholic High School

The Gleaner

Filed under Features

Fresh Faces

As this school year comes to an end, the eighth graders are getting ready to begin their new life as high schoolers. We all probably remember the first day of high school when we stepped foot into the building and were terrified of the unknown.

Jimmy McDermott, Jaida Dittmer, Nick Bandy, Colin Warthan and Anna Kalb, ‘21, are excited for the beginning of freshman year. “I’m excited about being in high school and meeting new teachers, I’m definitely not excited for lots of homework,”  McDermott said.

“I’m ready to take new classes for a challenge and meet new friends,” Dittmer added.

Kalb is looking to expand her social network. “I can’t wait to meet and interact with students from different grades,” Kalb said

“I am also excited for sports next year and for just finally being in high school,” commented Bandy.

Warthan is looking forward to a bit more freedom “I am

Top row: Jimmy McDermott, Tom Riley, Patrick Igo, Nick Bandy, Colin Warthan
Bottom Row: Ella Frederick, Emilia Harris, Sophie Wagner, Anna Kalb, Jaida Dittmer, ’21.

excited for new academic challenges and being able to drive to school,” he said.

Some other eighth graders are looking forward to new opportunities in high school. “I am really excited to drive and to pursue my filming career,” Tom Riley, ‘21, said.

“I’m excited to start new classes, meet new people and do activities that I’m not able to do at Mazzuchelli,” Ella Frederick,’21, said.

Although there are some excited freshmen, there are a few who are nervous. “I am nervous about hard classes and finding my way around Wahlert, but excited to be in high school with my sister (Isa, ‘19),” Emilia Harris, ‘21, states.

Sophie Wagner, ‘21, said, “I am excited to meet and hang out with new people, but nervous about all the homework.” Lastly, Patrick Igo, ‘21, explained, “I am excited for a new school, but scared for lots of homework.”

As these incoming freshmen start to make an appearance in the halls, let’s do our part and show them what being a Wahlert Eagle is all about.