The Gleaner

Filed under Sports

Kicking into the new soccer season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kicking into the new soccer season

As the snow melts and the calendar rolls into springtime, there is a noticeable buzz in the halls of Wahlert Catholic. The boys’ soccer team is entering their season with expectations of a state championship run. Coming off of a surprising run to the sub-state final last season, the team returns all but two players that bring critical experience. Important players returning include Zach Berning ‘19, Cameron Haugen ‘19, and Nathan Donovan ‘21. Promising newcomers Marc Lozano, Diego Lopez ‘20, Brant Perry and Jackson Haugen, ‘22, will have the chance to fill the few holes left by last year’s seniors.

After last year’s 2-1 overtime loss to Davenport Assumption, the senior class has lofty goals. “We always have had high expectations for ourselves, but this year is different we have the chance to win a state title.” said Berning. “I have really enjoyed the hype of this winter because it makes the beginning of the season even more anticipated.”

With any sport, injuries can be a major concern. The men’s soccer team, however, has caught the injury bug even before the season has begun. Trenton Dodds, a first team all conference center-midfielder, has been burdened with a severe hip injury that leaves him with only a 10 percent chance to play at all this season.

“It is disappointing for sure, because I have been looking forward to this season since I was a kid, but I need to focus on being a good teammate and rehabbing to be able to play this year.” said Dodds, ‘19.

Although injuries can happen, a truly great team has to have the ability to overcome them. “I feel like we have much more depth this year than years past,” said senior goalie Cameron Haugen. “We have to rely on some guys that are young or inexperienced, but I am confident that they can get it done.”

Throughout the storied tradition of Wahlert men’s soccer, the team has achieved the final goal of a state title only twice. This year’s team looks to change that, and with a senior-laden and talented squad to go along with a hungry attitude, they look poised to win it all.