The Gleaner

Filed under Sports

Boys finish 4th at State

Leaping+into+state%0AMatt+Bandy%2C+%2719%2C+competes+in+high+jump.+Bandy+jumped+6%273+at+state+which+placed+him+6th.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys finish 4th at State

Leaping into state
Matt Bandy, '19, competes in high jump. Bandy jumped 6'3 at state which placed him 6th.

Leaping into state Matt Bandy, '19, competes in high jump. Bandy jumped 6'3 at state which placed him 6th.

Once again the boys’ track team qualified multiple events for state and finished fourth overall.  Several relays and individuals placed high in their respective events.

The 4×800 relay of Jacob Hocking, ‘20,  Luke Hilby, Luke Schaefer, ‘18, and Carter Oberfoell, ‘19, set their personal best in times, finishing second overall with a time of 8:04.83.

Alden Kuntz, ‘19, ran the 200 meter dash in a time of 21.84, setting a school record, but placed second overall. Kuntz was busy during the state meet also running the 100 meter dash in 11.07 and placing fourth.

Kuntz also ran in the 4×100 relay with Danny McDermott, ‘19, Kunkel and Coby Adams, ‘19, which finished fourth in a time of 43.74.The distance medley placed second with Jace Kunkel, Schaefer, Hilby, and Adams, ‘19, in 3:33.72, and Hilby finished third in the open 800.

In  the field events Danny McDermott, ‘19, placed sixth in long jump with a jump of 21’2”.

Matt Bandy, ‘18, again placed in High Jump with a leap of 6’3” for his sixth place. “State was cool,” said Bandy, who plans to jump for Loras Track and Field next year. “Since it was at Drake, it is always cool to have an opportunity to jump in front of thousand of people. I wouldn’t have asked for a different place to end my high school career,” said Bandy.

McDermott, Adams and Kuntz look to  have already set goals for their senior year. Kuntz hopes  to break his only record in the 200 and win both the 200 and 100 meter dash. McDermott, who has placed consistently well in every meet throughout the year, will have set his sights on  a long jump state championship next season.

SaveSave

Jared Weber, Reporter

Jared Weber is a sophomore at Wahlert Catholic High School. This is his first year on The Gleaner. During his free time, he enjoys playing baseball, basketball...