• April 7"Urinetown" the musical 4/20-4/22 at the Grand Opera House

• February 4TEC at Wahlert 4/8-4/10

• February 3Unity Week Pep Assembly 4/7 @ 2:00

The student news site of Wahlert Catholic High School

The Gleaner

Filed under Sports

Spring sports thriving at state

Soccer

The boys’ soccer team is currently in substate. They are looking to qualify for state for the second year in a row and possibly win state for the first time since 2012.

The girls’ soccer team is also in substate and is set to play on Tuesday, May 30.

Sophia Huntington, ‘19, said, “If we just play soccer, have fun and communicate, I think that we will be able to win.”

Tennis

The boys’ and girls’ tennis teams both qualified for state! The boys’ team made it to the first round of state, but unfortunately were beaten by Xavier 5-4 in a close battle.

Louis Ungs, ‘18, said, “Even though we did not get the result that we wanted, I had a lot of fun with my teammates and cheering them on.”

The girls’ team is currently in the semifinals of the team state tournament. Audrey Hinz, ‘17, qualified for singles state for her fourth year in a row. Also, Meghan Long, ‘17, and Anna Herrig, ‘18, qualified for state doubles.

Golf

Led by Elyse Kalb, ‘17, and Mary Edwards, ‘19, the girls’ golf team has made it to state for the fourth year in a row. They are ranked first in 4A for the state tournament.

The first round of state is Tuesday, May 30. They will be looking to improve from their third place finish last year at state.

Track

Both the girls’ and boys’ team made it to the state meet this year! The girls finished in third place overall. Jackie Ganshirt, ‘17, Anna Sherman, ‘18, Libby Wedewer, ‘20, and Bailey Hasken, ‘18, finished in first place in both the 4×200 and the 4×100 relays.

Ryan Rogers, ’17, leaps over the hurdle.

Sisters Kaylee and Ellie Osterberger, ‘18, along with Holly Hohmann, ‘18, and Molly McDonald, ‘20, finished second overall in the 4×800.

In the 4×400, Kaylee Osterberger, Ellie Osterberger, Ganshirt and McDonald finished in third place.

In the Distance Medley Relay Claire Broderick, ‘20, Sabrina Smith, ‘18, McDonald, and Ellie Osterberger also finished in third place.

The boys’ team finished in eighth place overall. Alden Kuntz, ‘19, finished in fourth place in the 100 meter dash and second in the 200 meter dash behind the winner of the event for the last three years. Luke Hilby, ‘18, ran in the 800 and finished in fourth place.

Ryan Rogers, who ran the shuttle hurdle relay, 110 high hurdles and sprint medley, said, “I wanted to make the finals and have a fun time running with my friends.” He did just that and made finals in both the sprint medley relay and the shuttle hurdle relay. Rogers and his teammates finished in sixth place in both of those events.